Phishing has become a common practice among cybercriminals and it has been there ever since the beginning of the internet era. Scammers can use any form of communication to gain access to your data. Emails are more vulnerable to phishing than other mediums as emails have records of the most important information and they can potentially provide access to valuable data of an individual or an organization. To ensure 100% safe and secure email communication, GoAnywhere has a secure mail client with an Outlook Plugin. Not only is the supervisor the only target of such phishing scams, but all executives and members of the management team are also at risk. This means email security is important now more than ever. If you want to avoid phishing scams and attacks, we have rounded up some effective methods to do so in this article.
How Phishing is Done?
To avoid phishing scams and attacks, you need to understand how are phishing attacks lodged? Scammers use several phishing tricks to scam emails and they are mostly successful. They try to steal your email passwords; from there they get access to your all personal data like bank account numbers, or your social security number. One of the scammers’ tricks is to send messages and links to people and compel them to open or click there. They design the message as if the source is authentic, for example, they would use a highly similar misspelling of any renowned company, enterprise, or online shopping platform. Those messages compel you to think as if there is something problematic with an account that needs to be updated. Another way is to manipulate you by offering free coupons or telling you that you are eligible for a government fund so put your account details and personal information there etc.
How to Avoid Phishing Emails Scams?
To avoid phishing email scams and attacks, here are some steps for you:
- Back up your data to another device as well and add multi-step authorization.
- Never put your personal information after logging in on random links unless the source is verified.
- Update your computer and mobile software regularly. Important emails should be encrypted.
- Don’t click on any link instantaneously. First of all, make sure the source is authentic and confirm by yourself if you are linked to this company or not. If not, it might be a phishing scam. If yes, confirm it by checking its validity by that company’s authentic site.
- Anti-phishing toolbars are free and they offer security when you’re visiting random sites. Anti-spy-wares and anti-virus software also offer protection.
- Install add-blockers on your device. This will also block malicious pop-ups.
- Site security must be verified by checking its URL and security certificate.
It has become an important and inevitable task for business companies to secure their sensitive information from these scammers. Remember, there is no one hard and fast way to save yourself from these scams. Precautions should be taken to avoid these attacks, for that, you must have tools and well-trained staff against these security breaches at your disposal. Consider all technological and human factors that can make you prey. Update yourself with modern phishing tricks as well so that you save yourself from their trap easily. These few steps will save you from any potential cyber breaches.