Folic acid is a synthetic form of folate, which is a water-soluble B vitamin and is required to carry out various functions in the body. But, folate is a naturally occurring compound present in green leafy veggies, beans, mushrooms, ladies finger, strawberries, peanuts, lentils, and fruits like bananas, kiwis, melons, oranges, and tomatoes.
Individuals who have folate deficiency are treated with folic acid supplements, which are also used in preventing neural defects and miscarriages during pregnancy. Folic acid is prescribed to treat patients with memory loss, depression, stroke, and declining thinking skills.
Here we discuss the benefits and side-effects of folic acid. Read through the article and learn more about it.
Why folic acid is significant for our body?
Folic acid is important to carry out a range of bodily functions and a few of them are listed below:
- Folic acid helps in the production of red blood cells and prevents us from anaemia, fatigue, and weakness.
- The right amount of folate is required for cell division and repairs DNA and other genetic materials.
- Folic acid helps in amino acid metabolism and nucleic acid metabolism. It helps in the synthesis of serine, methionine, purines, pyrimidines and thymidylate.
- Folic acid along with vitamin B12 helps in the normal functioning of the intestinal mucosa.
- Folic acid prevents getting certain cancers, stroke, and cardiovascular diseases.
- Folic acid helps in promoting better digestion.
Where do you get folate from?
Folate is normally obtained from veggies, fruits, fortified grains, nuts, and other meat products. If you are unable to meet the required dosage of folate through the foods, then supplement your body with the synthetic folic acid. Order folic acid supplements from the best online pharmacy store in India at the comfort of your home and avail amazing medicine discount on every product you choose.
Benefits of folic acid:
Folic acid supplements are readily available in the market as over-the-counter medicines that are safe to take for treating a variety of health conditions. Here, we discussed a few benefits of folic acid:
- Folic acid supplements and folate-rich foods help to prevent pregnancy complications and birth defects.
- Folic acid improves brain health
- Folic acid along with the anti-depressant medications helps to treat mental health disorders
- Folic acid helps to improve heart health
- Folic acid or folate based supplements helps to control blood sugar levels, improves fertility, reduces inflammation, lowers homocysteine levels, and decreases side-effects of certain medications that are used in treating cancer, psoriasis, and rheumatoid arthritis.
What happens if you take excess folic acid supplements?
Excess folic acid supplements may harm your health and the following are the issues seen due to excess folic acid intake:
- Increased intake of folic acid may mask the absorption of Vitamin b12 and if left untreated, it may damage the brain and nervous system.
- Excess intake may invite age-related mental issues like Alzheimer’s disease, bipolar disorder, dementia to name a few
- Taking folic acid supplements more than the required amount may decrease brain development in children and may also increase insulin resistance.
Side-effects of folic acid:
There are not many side-effects reported after using folic acid supplements, but there are chances of developing allergic reactions like hives, facial swelling including throat, tongue, and lips in some individuals. If you have developed any of the above signs, consult the doctor immediately. If the doctor prescribes you medicines, order them from a trusted medical store near me for home delivery and get them delivered at your doorstep.
A few other less commonly seen side-effects of taking folic acid include:
- Sleep issues
- Loss of appetite, etc.